Sunday, January 29, 2012

Winter Eating Ain't What it Used to be


I’ve think I’ve become a food snob. I know that seasonal eating is the preferable way to eat, but now that I’m living in Florida I only eat the freshest, organic produce. I snub my nose at those plastic wrapped packages of organic carrots and broccoli from California that line the supermarket shelves. Those packages travelled too far to suit my tastes. I look for those bins of loose tomatoes that have just been picked and the piles of fresh organically grown corn. Imagine fresh corn in January--this must be paradise.
Moving away from the cold and snowy climate of the northeast has allowed me to finally eat (during the harshest winter months) in a sustainable way. I relish the fact that my food dollar goes directly to the farmer and eating the freshest produce is really healthy for everyone I cook for. It’s been an adventure these past several weeks figuring out what is in season during Florida’s winter months. The strawberries and cantaloupes have been the sweetest and least expensive of any fruits I have bought in my life. The collard greens and broccoli even look a bit different and taste better.

Even though Florida has a year-round growing season, eating seasonally even affects those of us who live in warmer climates because not all produce is available all year. It is just as important to keep an eye out for those fruits and vegetables that are locally grown.

I always make the effort to cook and eat local foods that are organically grown. What I eat on a macrobiotic diet varies depending on what foods are indigenous to where I happen to be living. I need to be aware of the local climate so that the foods I eat will help both my mind and body feel balanced. Last year, during the harsh winter months in Boston I prepared foods that required long cooking times and were warming to my body, such as soups, stews, and root vegetables. Today, even though it is winter, I am eating and cooking meals that reflect the summertime.

When I moved south, I looked at the produce that was displayed at the farmer’s stands. The locally grown foods tell me what mother earth is now producing. Even in winter, the weather here is warm so the food does not need to be. The bins of locally grown foods are stuffed with cooling veggies like cucumbers, lettuces and watery melons. Instead of cooking a hearty barley mushroom soup, I am preparing pressed salads and grains that have been made into cooling dishes.

There is more to discover, of course, about the Florida climate and understanding how food affects my body. There certainly will be some edibles available that I have never encountered before, and some recipes to invent. But, no matter where I am, whether I am on vacation in Europe, at home in Massachusetts, or spending a few months in Florida, I try to stay true to my commitment to a healthy way of living and eating. I have found that eating regionally works for me. Whether it’s a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast or a platter of pasta primavera for dinner, I have promised myself that I will always eat foods that are the best for my health.

No comments:

Post a Comment