Monday, March 12, 2012

Asian Noodle Broth

I've been experimenting with making noodle soup for days. I think that I've finally come up with a delicious recipe. First I made a Japanese dashi then I added vegetables. I found that I liked seasoning it with shoyu, mirin, and toasted sesame oil.


Shitake mushrooms have been used by Chinese medicine for over 6000 years. They are a good source of iron and help to protect us against cardiovascular diseases.
To clean any mushroom use a damp clean and brush off any dirt. They are very porous and can absorb too much water.
Kombu is a type of seaweed that is found in the Asian food aisle of Whole Foods. Kombu is high in protein, calcium, iodine, magnesium, iron and folate. I usually wipe the kombu with a damp cloth before using.
Recipe Ingredients

1 package udon noodles
2 small pieces of kombu
1/2 red onion, sliced in half moons
4 shitake mushrooms, sliced
4-6 sliced pea pods
4 cups water
3 TB shoyu or soy sauce
2 TB finely sliced green onions
1/4 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp of sesame oil
1 TBS mirin

Prepare the noodles according to the directions on the package. Drain when done and rinse with cold water.
To make the broth put the kombu into the water and let it soak for 10 minutes. Remove the kombu and bring the water to a boil. Add the sliced onions and mushrooms to the water. Cook for 10 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for another 5 minutes.
Before serving add the noodles.

Happy, healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment