Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Polenta With Mushroom Ragout

Polenta, otherwise known as cornmeal or semolina is a great alternative to rice and potatoes.  I like it so much that I often eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It can be eaten as a savory or sweet dish.  Top it with maple syrup and toasted pecans or with a variety of vegetables, a tomato sauce or a mushroom ragout as I made today.  It can be eaten soft right out of the pot or refrigerated and then cut into rounds and baked or pan fried.  Polenta is an excellent source of iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc and vitamin B6. To make polenta, simply follow the directions on the package. Today, I pan seared the polenta after it had been refrigerated overnight. The mushroom ragout is made with shitake mushrooms for an extra health benefit. I added some cherry tomatoes and sage. To complete the entree I served the dish on top of a bed of blanched kale.
The mushroom ragout is simmering on the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment